There are only nine Best Picture nominees this year, but we still barely fit them all in before the Oscars this Sunday. Here they are, best to least-best.
- Get Out – Best movie of the year! I loved it. Entertaining, thought-provoking, and surprising. Vital.
- Lady Bird – Also vital. And perfect. This spoke to me so hard.
- The Shape of Water – I was so inspired by this one. Gorgeous. Kinda weird.
- Phantom Thread – Creative genius treats women badly. But surprising plot. But you know Daniel Day-Lewis is so method, he was definitely a jerk on set.
- Call Me By Your Name – I’m still not sure why they were calling each other by their names? There’s a lot I appreciated about this movie, even if it didn’t hit me in the heart the way Lady Bird did.
- Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri – I understand why this movie is problematic in ways, but I’m hopeful that it created conversation around those issues.
- Dunkirk – One of my fears is being trapped somewhere and drowning. This movie kept playing on that.
- The Post – Pandering??
- Darkest Hour – Should be called Darkest Two Hours. Plus, spoilers for Dunkirk.